Herbal Ley Establishment & Management *FULLY BOOKED*
Time & Location
About the Event
Join us for a one day course on Herbal Leys Establishment and Management brought to you by the FarmED team and Cotswolds Seeds.
A herbal ley is a complex seed mixture of grasses, legumes and herbs, which bring a range of benefits to forage, livestock health and soil fertility. Herbal leys can often include a mixture of up to 17 species, and can be incorporated into arable, livestock or horticultural operations.
The benefits to using herbal leys are as diverse as the species they contain. From building soil fertility and improving water resilience, to fostering better animal health and boosting biodiversity, herbal leys are a traditional low-input method of farming that provides benefits to arable, livestock and horticultural operations alike. No wonder Newman Turner, one of the great advocates of herbal leys, described these mixes as his ‘fertiliser merchant, food manufacturer and vet all in one’.
With increasing variability in weather patterns leading to drought in many parts of the country and increasing demand to reduce chemical inputs to farmland, there's been no better time to consider establishing herbal leys in your operation.
But where do you start?
This workshop aims to answer this question by providing an opportunity to:
- Observe two herbal ley systems in action in our eight year arable rotation and market garden demonstrations
- Experience our mob-grazed sheep on the leys
- Learn about the costs involved and other management considerations when transitioning to herbal leys
- Have your questions answered about establishing and managing herbal leys by experts and practitioners
By the end of the course you can expect to walk away able to:
- Discuss the benefits of herbal leys in terms of soil, environment and animal health, resource conservation, and biodiversity enhancement
- Understand considerations for planning a herbal ley system that is appropriate for your farming operation
- Understand considerations for managing a herbal ley system, from establishment to grazing and termination
This course is designed for arable and livestock farmers and growers who are interested in working with herbal leys but want to learn more about how to start integrating seed mixtures into their current operation.
Tickets include refreshments and a seasonal hot lunch from the FarmED Kitchen.
This is a full-day course running from 9am to 4.30pm.
This event is a ‘Starter’ from the FarmED Programme Menu – a one day introductory module.
Delivery of our mission is a collective effort and our values embrace inclusivity and diversity. We don’t want price to be a barrier to anyone visiting FarmED