Thu, 09 Jun|
How to Create Your Own or Community Orchard
Join Andy Howard from the Heritage Fruit Tree Co to learn the basics of setting up your own or community orchard.
Time & Location
09 Jun 2022, 10:00
FarmED, Station Rd, Shipton-under-Wychwood, Chipping Norton OX7 6BJ, UK
About the Event
Join Andy Howard from the Heritage Fruit Tree Co to learn the basics of setting up a community orchard.
Attendees will gain the knowledge and theory skills and insight necessary to plan and then plant up an orchard whether as an individual or as a start up community orchard group.
This is a hands on event where you'll learn about all the key aspects of creating your own or community orchard.
This may include:
- Comprehending how and why we have to plan an orchard.
- Distinguishing between different soil types and Orchard locations types. (Topography, Soil analysis, frost pockets and how to plant on more difficult sites)
- Differentiate between different top fruit and the ideal planting conditions.
- Choose root stocks sizes and be aware of trees vigour. What you need and the advantages and disadvantages of different types for sites
- Understand correct planting distances and different planting patterns.
- Be aware of the benefit to wildlife and biodiversity an orchard can bring (+ how to introduce biodiversity in to your orchard plan)
- Setting a tree to an established size when planted.
- Sourcing trees - when to buy/ reserve.
You will also have to chance to plan and lay out an orchard on paper, as well as a site visit to FarmED's own Heritage Orchard.
Pay it forward and help us to support other people’s learning experiences (inc. VAT)£95.00Tax: VAT included
Our recommended price that covers our costs (inc. VAT).£80.00Tax: VAT included
Our solidarity price for those who will benefit most (inc. VAT).£65.00Tax: VAT included
GREAT Project Participants
Subsidised places available to existing and aspiring farmers, growers and advisers in Gloucestershire.£60.00Tax: VAT included